Monday, May 4, 2015

A Warm (and humid) Welcome

I beat jetlag! Despite feeling sleepy in a presentation or two, a morning workout and swim coupled with an incredible breakfast that included glorious Vietnamese coffee and surprisingly tasty corn broth locked me into the Vietnamese schedule. 
Today we visited our partner university, the University of Economics and Finance, and I couldn't have asked for a more hospitable welcome. As soon as we got off the bus we were greeted by enthusiastic Vietnamese students who placed hand woven leis made out of real flowers around our necks. We then sat through a welcome party including numerous dance numbers and speeches where  during the breaks we were able to get to know our new Vietnamese companions. Most of them spoke English very well (which was relieving considering I could hardly even pronounce their names) and all were friendly and outgoing. My first conversation with a student involved him excitedly telling me about how he watched a cartoon movie about a vampire living in the same place that I'm from. I didn't have the heart to pop his bubble by explaining that "Pennsylvania" and "Transylvania" are not the same place.
After the welcome ceremony, we had our first lesson in Vietnamese where I found out I can't differentiate between the Vietnamese word for "ghost" and "mother." I hope I never have to hold a conversation involving both. The different pronunciations were not only difficult to hear, but they were even harder to speak. This language is definitely going to be a challenge.
Lunch was an assortment of Vietnamese foods at a nearby university's cafeteria. The food was about a million times better than anything Market Central has ever served. Lunch was followed by a trip to Hutech, another private university nearby that has both business and engineering. We were divided by major and the engineering group spoke with the Vice-President of the university, who was an electrical-engineer. The topic was intended to highlight the differences between American and Vietnamese universities, but most of the talk was redirected to the VP's philosophical musings. Regardless, he was still very well spoken and his words of wisdom felt worthwhile.
Dinner was at a restaurant that accumulated numerous street vendors and housed them in a gorgeous semi-outdoor building. Once again we received an insanely delicious meal composed of a variety of shared dishes.
Remember when I said I beat jetlag? I lied. It's hitting me now. Goodnight.

1 comment: